Young & Restless: Ashland has one final reveal and Mariah won’t back down
It continues to amaze me how the brilliant talent of Young & Restless can create compelling scenes from predictable and mid-level material. This has made it possible to reach some of the disappointing heights that are worth watching.
The final Countdown
Young and restless seems to take a two-pronged approach to revealing Ashland’s past… or should we say three-pronged? Last week we had the confession that he wasn’t actually Ashland Locke, this week he was forced to take it a step further and tell the poignant story of how the identity exchange is ‘unfolded, which means there has to be yet another reveal for the wedding … or maybe he will and finish before that, as the preview shows him recounting to Victoria a felony – which is probably related to the way he acquired the news stations. If he tells her the whole story remains to be seen.
Anyway, I can’t say enough about Amelia Heinle describing Victoria’s confusion and anger, or Richard Burgi’s performance as he told her about the car crash and Nick – just fascinating – but it’s hard not to get frustrated with the way Young and restless botched Ashtoria’s love affair. Why are viewers so ripped apart by the couple just before their fantastic wedding in Italy? Some may be rooted in their love to overcome everything, but Ashland’s choice not getting ahead of it all with Victoria has already put others off. After that week, I still had feelings for the guy, but I also wanted to slap him for not just telling him everything before the others could find out.
Mariah is in the mood these days! Between the surge in postpartum hormones and the emotional and mental consequences of surrogacy and abduction, she isn’t beating around the bush on how she feels. I thought her scenes with Sharon, who was trying to provide unwanted mothering, were so lifelike and lifelike – you couldn’t see them playing with them at all! Tessa and Mariah’s frank conversation was more or less the same… so good. And while Tessa left the conversation thinking that all the talking about having a baby had been settled, it was obvious that Mariah had no intend to let it go. She has indeed clung to the idea and all that remains is to see how far she will go to get there!
Following: The Y&R star who thought Camryn Grimes was pregnant
* Another strong scene to come out of the Ashland / Victoria story was Nikki attacking Billy and telling him not to show up for the wedding. I like that they use it more. Nick and Victoria’s clash was also incredible. Nick entering that final line to let his sister know that he realizes the revelations are bothering her more than she will ever let it appear was a good pace. They know each other so well.
* I love the bit with Sally looking to get Victoria’s attention to the wedding dress she’s designed for her, and her confidence in her belief that once she sees it, she will instantly agree to it. wear despite Sally’s background with family. Come on Sally!
* Unless all this focus on Jack’s loneliness and man’s pain leads to love, I have to wonder what the point is in all of this – how many scenes can they? may be devote to this same topic? Not that I’ll be complaining about having time with Traci, but Jack really wears out the rug pacing up and down with this picture of Dina. For what it’s worth, they still seem to revolve around the idea of Phyllis and Jack, though it’s unclear whether or not they’ll go. I would prefer that they come up with something unexpected.
Following: Gallery: Michael Baldwin through the years
* The scenes of Devon in the park with Dominic were so heartwarming, even without seeing a real baby, it was impossible not to feel their bond developing. Having said that, he also pointed out that Devon is not raise this child; her firstborn, despite their biological connection. Which continues to make me sad and disturbed by the story that brought us to this place. Fortunately, there is a bit more fun in Devon’s life with Amanda moving in and Moses there. As mentioned in last week’s rant, however, Naya’s disease has to play on screen or not at all. And can we please establish Imani on the web?
Following: Cait Fairbanks shows us Baby Dominic
* As adorable as Faith and Moses are, I just cannot accept that they are written like teenagers from another era. Their great crisis was school work and in fact they high-fived! It’s far from the realism that we see with teenagers on other soap operas, or that we used to see on this show for that matter.
These teens are so boring. Remember when Lily got STDs and ran away to get married? Good old days. #YR
– VanPelt (@vanpelttv) September 27, 2021
* For more on all the stories that will collide in Tuscany, watch my story this Sunday. Have a good week-end!
It’s just my opinion. Please feel free to join the conversation below, but first, take a moment to remember the soap stars we lost in 2021.
Get your free daily dose of soap-opera for The young and the restless – and all other daytime dramas – delivered straight to your inbox by signing up for the Soaps.com newsletter.