Prosecutors ask Proud Boys leader to stay in jail ahead of trial

Federal prosecutors on Monday asked a judge to keep the leader of the extremist group Proud Boys in jail pending trial on charges of conspiracy stemming from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack.

Justice Department lawyers said in a court filing that Enrique Tarrio should not be released because he poses a danger to the community and is a flight risk during his legal proceedings.

“There is overwhelming evidence that Tarrio organized a conspiracy to obstruct, influence and bribe the certification of the Electoral College vote, an offense that strikes at the heart of our democracy,” prosecutors wrote.

“Under these circumstances, only remand can protect the community from the danger that Tarrio poses.”

The Proud Boys frontman was indicted last week along with five co-defendants on various charges, including conspiracy to obstruct official process.

While Tarrio was not present during the attack on the Capitol, he allegedly organized the group’s efforts to travel to DC in an effort to prevent Congress from certifying the Electoral College votes.

According to Monday’s filing, Tarrio met with Oath Keepers leader Stewart Rhodes, who faces seditious conspiracy charges in a separate case, the day before the capitol breach. Prosecutors say a documentary film crew was present at that meeting.

Nayib Hassan, a lawyer representing Tarrio, said in an emailed statement: “We are of the view that the allegations contained in the government memorandum are misinterpreted and do not provide a clear and complete picture of what happened. happened in the days leading up to January 6.”

A federal justice of the peace in Miami will hold a hearing on Tarrio’s remand status on Tuesday morning.

Comments are closed.