How soldiers tortured me and asked me to swim in dirty drainage water – Independence Day protester shares his experience


Ibrahim Kadiri, one of six Independence Day protesters arrested in Abuja on Friday for protesting against the insecurity and anti-popular policies of President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime, recounted how he was tortured and dehumanized by soldiers attached to the Joint Task Force on Police Security of the Federal Capital Territory.

The demonstrators were violently dispersed with tear gas and pursued into the bush where they were beaten and brutalized by armed security agents, led by ASP policewoman Altine Daniel, who arrived at the scene. the demonstration in a white Hilux vehicle.

The names of the arrested and detained protesters are Benjamin Mannaseh, Mohammed Labaran, Danjuma Patience, Kingsley Bala and Ibrahim Kadiri.

Ibrahim, who is still recovering, told SaharaReporters about his ordeal shortly after their release.
He was arrested by police and handed over to soldiers believed to be the team’s “torture squad”, who tied him up and tortured him.

He said he was taken to a location near Transcorp Hilton Abuja, where soldiers asked him to enter the sewers with dirty water.

He said the injuries were inflicted on his body.

According to him, one of the members of the “torture squad” grabbed his cell phone, took out the SIM card and threw it down the drain.

He said, “The police arrested me and handed me over to the soldiers. When we got to a place around Transcorp Hilton, they asked me all kinds of questions. They asked me how much were we paid to protest. Who sent us?
“They now asked me to lie down in the dirty drainage water and said I should look for fish. They beat me to the point that I didn’t know I could ever survive it.

“While I’m talking to you now, I can’t walk because of the pain. The soldiers are “the torture squad” because they are the ones who dehumanized me. “

At the time of filing this report, the young activist was still in excruciating pain and was unable to walk.

One of the other detained protesters who spoke to SaharaReporters, Benjamin Mannaseh, said they were arrested as they returned to the protest grounds to search for their phones and other belongings that had gone missing under tear gas.

He said they were taken to Galadima police station, from where they were transferred to Garki.
He said the divisional police officer at the station asked officers to take them to the headquarters of the
dismantled Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), popularly known as the Slaughterhouse.

Mannaseh said they were locked inside the “sanctuary cell,” which is intended for sick people and those who have been shot and wounded.

Mannaseh said, “We were there in the sanctuary cell and the officer in charge of the cell came and told us that we had to give them money or call our people to come and pay us a deposit. 200,000 N but we told them that we hadn’t committed any. They left us and asked the head of the cell to give us more beatings.

Meanwhile, the six protesters were released around 7:00 p.m. Saturday.

Protesters blocked the road to Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Friday morning to protest against insecurity, impunity, inflation, among others.

They also demanded the resignation of President Muhammadu Buhari because of his incompetence which has caused untold suffering and suffering to Nigerians.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.