79 new cases of COVID in Taunton, first drop since August 2021
TAUNTON – There was a significant drop in new cases of COVID-19 reported in the city last week, with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health recording 79 in its last weekly report.
County-wide statistics:Bristol County COVID Vaccine Tracking Shows 57% of People Fully Vaccinated
This is the first time since the end of August that Taunton has seen a sharp drop in COVID cases. The latest drop was in the August 26 DPH report. It’s still far too early to determine if the city’s cases are in a definite pattern of decline, but for this week at least they’re heading in that direction.
Overall, Mass. DPH reported 275 new cases of COVID-19 around Grand Taunton over the past week.
Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 7,701 cases of COVID in the city; about two in 15 people in the city have had COVID at some point. The total number of ongoing cases over two weeks is 240, according to the DPH report, with an average daily incidence rate of 29.8 per 100,000 population.
Taunton’s COVID test positivity rate also declined for the first time in five weeks. This week it went from 4.76% to 4.02%.
The seven-day state average was 2.03% on Thursday.
State health officials also reported 1,560 new cases of COVID-19 in Massachusetts on Thursday, bringing the total to 775,963 cases statewide since the start of the pandemic.
Authorities also reported 14 new COVID-related deaths. The state’s death toll now stands at 18,427.
In the past two weeks, DPH says 26 people have died in Bristol County.
National concern:Biden touts progress in fight against COVID, pushes vaccinations
Who has been vaccinated?
Taunton continues to hover just below 60% full vaccination.
According to the latest DPH report, 58% of Taunton’s population, or 33,393 people, have now been fully vaccinated. Sixty-four percent, or 36,567 people, received at least one dose.
A person is considered fully vaccinated when they have two weeks before they receive either a single dose Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccine or the second dose of Moderna or Pfizer vaccines.
According to the latest figures from DPH, Freetown, Lakeville and Raynham have exceeded 60% of full vaccination.
The latest vaccination figures for Grand Taunton:
- Berkley: 62% partially vaccinated; 58% fully vaccinated
- Dighton: 62% partially vaccinated; 57% fully vaccinated
- Freetown: 67% partially vaccinated; 62% fully vaccinated
- Lakeville: 67% partially vaccinated; 62% fully vaccinated
- Middleboro: 55% partially vaccinated; 50% fully vaccinated
- Norton: 65% partially vaccinated; 59% fully vaccinated
- Raynham: 69% partially vaccinated; 64% fully vaccinated
- Rehoboth: 57% partially vaccinated; 52% fully vaccinated
To date, more than 11,251,390 doses of vaccine have been shipped within the state and 9,777,003, or 86.9%, have been administered.
The state also administered 226,667 booster shots on Thursday.
According to the latest DPH vaccine report, 4,677,864 Massachusetts residents are fully vaccinated.
Hospitalizations due to COVID
According to state health officials, 567 people are hospitalized with COVID-19 in Massachusetts, and 142 of them are in an intensive care unit.
At Morton Hospital in Taunton, 12 people are hospitalized with COVID-19, and five of them are in intensive care.
How serious is COVID in children? :View the latest data and graphs on child cases, hospitalizations and deaths
COVID in Grand Taunton
Middleboro, of all towns surrounding Taunton, continues to report the most new cases of COVID-19 week over week, with 66 new cases of COVID this week.
Over the past week, DPH reports that there have been 275 (including the 79 cases in Taunton) new COVID-19 cases reported for Grand Taunton:
- Berkley: 18 new cases; 913 in total; 37 number of common cases over two weeks; 38.8 average daily incidence rate; 6.13% positivity.
- Dighton: 10 new cases; 882 in total; 21 number of common cases over two weeks; 18.9 average daily incidence rate; 3.60% positivity.
- Freetown: 24 new cases; 1,191 in total; 37 number of common cases over two weeks; 29.2 average daily incidence rate; 4.92% positivity.
- Lakeville: 15 new cases; 1,271 in total; 41 number of common cases over two weeks; 25.8 average daily incidence rate; 4.05% positivity.
- Middleboro: 66 new cases; 2,745 in total; 144 number of common cases over two weeks; Average daily incidence rate of 37.5; 5.88% positivity.
- Norton: 21 new cases; 1,835 in total; 52 number of current cases over two weeks; 18.7 average daily incidence rate; 1.20% positivity.
- Raynham: 16 new cases; 1,906 in total; 51 number of current cases over two weeks; average daily incidence rate of 24.1; 3.84% positivity.
- Rehoboth: 26 new cases; 1,219 in total; 45 number of common cases over two weeks; 25.3 average daily incidence rate; 5.61% positivity.
Taunton Daily Gazette / Herald News editor and digital producer Kristina Fontes can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Support local journalism by purchasing a digital or print subscription to The Herald News and Taunton Daily Gazette today.